The purpose of this site is to capture and record some of the history of Clapton, it’s buildings and people. Clapton History Timeline
Clapton is a small village, situated at an altitude of 500 feet on the Lower Mendip Plateau, between Midsomer Norton and Ston Easton. Geologically, the village lies on liasic limestone, which overlays beds of rhaetic red clay and keuper marl. To the north of the road between the village and Midsomer Norton, the hillside shows extensive landslip1 . The soil overlying the limestone is described as a free-draining grey-brown silty clay loam2. Dairy farming is the predominant agricultural activity. Field boundaries of dry limestone walls often supplemented with hedges are a feature of the landscape. The name Clapton is derived from the Old English words clop, a hill, and tun, an enclosure or settlement 3. The name is an apt one and there are fine views over the surrounding countryside.
There are around 60 houses in the settlement. The oldest are former farms or cottages built in the local stone in the Tudor and Stuart Era. Old Farm has a fine carved fireplace dated 1586. There is no Church of England building, as the village is in the ecclesiastical parish of Midsomer Norton, but there is the site of an early meeting room/church on Zion Hill. The present Methodist Chapel built in 1866 is a good example of Victorian Byzantine. From the 19th century and early 20th century, there are a number of detached stone cottages. Two small terraces of dwellings, probably used by local miners, are situated in Langleys Lane. In the last century, one of the farmhouses became a public house called the Crown. With much alteration, it continues to flourish today. Eight council houses and a handful of private bungalows and houses have been added since the Second World War. On the site of a small former quarry, there is a works operated by Forticrete a subsidiary of CRH Plc. In the centre of the village is an impressive village hall which was built in 1983.